Saturday, November 7, 2009

Today's 3 R's: Round Ball, Rambling and Refreshment!

'Fess up, time.

I woke up this morning wishing I could just stay home. It'd been another very long week, albeit a good one, and the bones were weary. Beloved hubby was scheduled to drive in from his week long hunting trip in Kansas and I was in a nesting mood, eager to see him and thinking about how nice it'd be to put a big pot of soup in the crockpot and settle in with the hard-to-get-around-to current manuscript. Instead, I was looking at an hour and forty-five minute drive and a speaking engagement. For the record, Dixie Belle was even more unhappy with my plans. Boy, that dog can pout.

It wasn't easy, but I began surrendering my attitude to the Father's plans. (Hey-- this is a confession folks.) Total honesty-- God loves it. Our hearts are never a surprise to Him, but baring them and inviting Him to change 'em is all He asks.

I would be speaking to a group of pastors' wives while the men met separately. When I accepted the invitation months ago, I'd been informed that it would be a small group, (which matters to me none at all), and told that the need was for refreshment. Laughs and inspiration, Mrs. Bessie had said. That's what these ladies need. That's what I asked the Father to help me give them.

I told the pouting dog good-bye in the carport, promising her a game of fetch upon my return, and shoved in the praised and worship tape Rhonda, AKA Madness Czar, had burned for me last month when we were ministering together in Mississippi, (thanks Madness). I knew if I made my mouth start recounting His glory, my heart would catch up. And, of course, it did. Before long I had to pause the tape to pray, and then back to song, prayer, song, prayer, song, the miles came and went. By the time I arrived at my destination, which included a spell where I thought I was lost and had daughter in Houston google the address and make sure I was headed in the right direction (oh, the wonders of technology), Eyore had long since morphed back into Tigger.

I parked my car at Seeker Springs Ministry Center at 9:30 A.M. with awe in my heart for the beautiful day as I took in the interesting vista before me. By now my spirit was fully awake and up to speed. Another surprise awaited when I opened the car door. Was that the sound of someone playing basketball inside the building? This ex-coach LOVES me some basketball and the sound is pretty unmistakeable to me, but I decided that it couldn't be. (Stay tuned.)


Walking up to the building was neat in itself. A gorgeous wrap-around porch stretched before me, outfitted with a couple dozen rocking chairs.




And then, I was thru this door and immediately in the presence of a smiling group of folks, and the lady who had invited me. They were instant friends!


And yes-- right behind them, visible through the foyer, was nothing but-- a GYM-- a full-sized gym and a handful of people shooting roundball! Come to find out, this retreat center was once a vibrant country school. Okay, so I know you're wondering. The answer is YES, of course! It wasn't but a few minutes and I was out of the heels and shooting basketball with my new buds!

We had a blast and that was BEFORE it was time for the meeting. That, was another blessing entirely. Oh, the joy of sharing laughter and love with those pastors' wives will be with me for a while! Let's just say that I rambled all over the place and they didn't mind one bit!


After the meeting, and before a fantabulous lunch was spread out, I slipped around and took some pics of the place. Below is a shot of the softball field and the gazebo meeting place outdoors.


Here's a shot of the pool out back. You can't see it well in the pic, but there's also a big porch back here in case some folks would rather watch the water fun from the shade.
















I left Seeker Springs totally today feeling like I had just been privileged to one of my Heavenly Father's Super Set-ups. I hope and pray those women were just half as refreshed as I was by our visit. I love the way He does things. Everything with our Father is a win/win. Yes, the day was for those ladies, but because He is who He is, it was also about rest and respite for me! I could almost hear my Father planning the day..." Oh, and Jesus, let's throw in some basketball. You know, she does love that silly game."

There's more here-- I had one forever more awesome idea while I was there that is continuing to percolate in my spirit, but the time is not quite right to spill it, not yet. Beloved Hubby is home and I want to spend more time talking to him and I also need more time with the Father to iron out the wrinkles. When I do announce it, we'll reference this post.

Y'all take care and have a good day in the Lord's house tomorrow. I plan to.

Hugs,
Shellie



1 comment:

  1. I didn't realize you had a blog until I saw it on Vicki's computer. I will have to add you to my blog list!
    So many times I want to just do the easy thing and stay home, but I know that I will feel better once I have gotten out and done what I need to....or what I feel led to do.
    I think Jeff's group, Brother in Christ, have sang at that church before. I don't remember being there, but I think they went. It's such a nice place!!!

    ReplyDelete