Thursday, July 16, 2009

I'm All Ears!

Hey Y'all,

You've seen the text boxes in my first book in this series, a finalist for SIBA's 2009 Nonfiction Book of the Year: "Suck Your Stomach In and Put Some Color On", What Southern Mamas Tell Their Daughters that the Rest of Y'all Should Know, Too! Well, here's how you can get your own two bits in my next book.

I took some ribbing from the men folks in the first book for not soliciting their thoughts. Live and learn. This one's open to everybody and the topics run the gamut from diet and exercise to social media and regional differeneces! This book's working title is "Sue Ellen's Girl Ain't Fat, She Just Weighs Heavy" More Advice and Observations from All Things Southern.

In a nutshell, I'm open to your short (100 words or less) anecdotes, tips, or observations. What makes it southern? Why, you do, silly! So, don't stress, just play along and see your name in lights, (okay, print, but it's still big fun!)

Need a couple of examples? I'll put Leslie Martin Young's thoughts in the health section. This Louisiana girl says, "I've got a cornucopia of workout videos. My friend Lisa and I would actually put on "work out clothes" (some ensembles may or may not have included leg warmers) and move the furniture in the living room...then sit and watch the video while commenting about how fit we would be if we could actually DO that stuff..."

Author and journalist Karen Spears Zacharias opines, "My Yankee husband once accused me of not being southern because I didn't cook huge breakfast meals. That is, until the morning after an all night writing binge (spurred on by crazed energy level from a prescription drug error) when I woke him at six a.m. to a southern spread extraordinaire. I'd made an early morning Wal-Mart run and whipped up everything from bacon and eggs to sausage gravy and stone ground grits. Of course, I gave him the southern mantra, "And I expect you to eat everything I put on your plate." He's never challenged my southern credentials, again.

How about some tentative chapter titles to get your gears turning even more?

She Got Those Heavy Legs from her Mama’s Side
~ Thoughts on Fitness and Self-Improvement with Sensational Salads to Baby Your Curves

The Science of Bubba Whispering
~How to Train a Bubba with Main Dish Recipes He’ll Sit Up and Beg For

Self-Cleaning Underwear, an Idea Whose Time Should Never Come
~ Business Tips and Time Saving Techniques with Casserole Recipes to Beat the Clock

I would so appreciate your helping me spread the word by emailing this link to your friends, twittering it, and posting it on your blogs and facebook pages. This one's gonna be fun. All aboard!

Hugs,
Shellie

P.S. One more way to play-- sit on the porch of All Things Southern, by subscribing to my FREE weekly emag and joining me on Facebook, Twitter, and/or the old blog here for our continuing discussion. I may email you and tell you that your thoughts are just perfect for a certain chapter and ask permission to quote you. It's that easy and, from what my readers tell me, it's oh, so much fun when the book comes out!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Shellie, you'll be getting something from me soon. I love this type of book!

    Dana
    Southern Gal Goes North
    www.southerngalgoesnorth.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete